When and How to say no
Internal presentation I made at Shopify earlier this year.
Earlier this year, I remade a presentation that I did in 2019 at the RnD Summit in Ottawa. RnD Summit is an internal event where all RnD meet have we present content to each other. Something like a technical conference, internal to Shopify.
I wanted to share this publicly because I think that, while this was targeted at data scientists at Shopify, it is pretty accurate for a lot of data scientists out there. So without too much bell and whistle, here it is.
Before… Here is a little Shopify dictionary for some of the terms.
- Merchants: Shopify main customers, Those are the merchants that use Shopify to do business.
- Fecta: Group of key craft that steer and build a product. Usually includes a mix of Product, Engineering, UX, Data, Marketing and support.
- GSD: GSD (or Get Shit Done) is the internal framework on how we do and ship project
- Vault Internal tool/intranet where all the GSD project lives
- Burst in person events (since we are all remote) where we meet to deliver projects and build human connections. PM Product Manager
Also, small disclaimer, Given I wanted to share this video publicly, I made sure to build a completely fake example in the communication section of the video. The numbers and chronology are completely random.
Here you go:
I am more than happy to receive your comments, feel free to reach out to let me know if you see the same thing at your workplace.